Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Drive of Intimacy

"Does this even feel like your life?"

It's a short, yet powerful, question we get asked a lot.  I can guess that means, does this journey feel real? Or, has our sense of the twists and hard lefts caught up to our new life reality? Both are probably no and sometimes yes.  Our travel down this road is nothing we could have planned for or gotten ready for in advance, other than the fact we are blessed to have a great marriage that we have made a priority from day one.

At times we feel like "we've got the hang of this now."  Like we know this route.  And then life continues to remind us that each day is distinctly different from the last and will surprise us with many peaks and valleys alike.  A truth for all of us, just made more clear when your vitals are checked throughout the days and weeks, measuring and reminding you that life is mostly uncertain and for all of us will end in death.  Some, statistically, sooner than others.

The past 16 days, since Wil was last admitted and then was back in the ER, have flown by.  Being at home always seems to go faster than the weeks at the hospital, despite the fact that they outnumber the inpatient days three to one if we are lucky.  Usually the days melt away quickly, as we settle into the already well worn indentations of life, our spots on the couch, our sides of the bed, enjoying our typical meals...our flow of life as we know it through the cozy, intimate confines of our home together.  My favorite place.  Even clinic appointments have started to feel like a normal flow of home life.

Side Note:  My side of the bed is never used anymore.  There is a middle and there is his side.  I sleep in only one of those two places now.  There is not enough time in this life to lay on my side in the moments I have him.

This last round of chemotherapy reminded us that the casual knowns, those usual grooves we'd like to not climb out of, can ever be taken for granted.  Each round has its own personality.  Round 2B was significantly different for Wil, in terms of recovery, than the previous rounds.  We are told he is "normal," a word we have longed to hear, yet with those few little letters, we know what that probably means from here on out...it's likely it will continue to get harder. He will not bounce back as quickly.

"But it's going good, right?"

It's going according to the plan...each round destroys more of those cancer cells in his bone marrow.  Which means each round kills more of the good cells in his bone marrow too.  We are on the right track.  His body is a little more depleted each week and we both can tell.  He now needs frequent blood transfusions, several entire days spent at the clinic in between the inpatient chemo weeks, to try to keep his numbers from completely bottoming out and help his body regenerate.  It amazes me, this whole process, of tearing down and building up.  But we are in good company and always reminded, by the numerous long term relationships you acquire by seeing the same faces of providers as well as patients, that this journey is both long and intimate.  A marathon of vulnerability.

If you ask Wil, he will tell you he is great.  He will ask for nothing.  Last week, after a a full clinic day, he turned to me and said, "I'm so glad I have my voice back."  I love that about him.  After an entire 9 hour "work day" of sitting in a chair and having 3 units of blood drip you back to life, his statement wasn't "I'm tired" or  even "This isn't fair."  But I also worry that everyone around thinks things are going along without a hitch.  That things are naively hopeful--that recovery is sure bet.  Our faces are still marred with mud and tears.  I realize people go back to their lives.  And this right now IS our entire life.  Day in an day out, we manage and adapt.

Maybe it's the retrospect of how crazy it was in the first leg for him.  Now he smiles a lot.  He is more social at clinic, surrounded by the people who you know, without a word, just get it in a way others can't.  He is on Facebook posting about math, science, and politics.  Politely arguing and playfully conversing.  I am the one who gets to see the exhaustion, the bone deep painful exhaustion.  He aches from the inside out (which they say is normal as his bone marrow tries to fight).  I see the blood spots on his pillow from gum bleeds when his platelets are almost completely gone.  I see him break a sweat and breathe hard unloading the dishwasher when he is neutropenic.  To know Wil is to know he will rarely complain about the constant pain in his feet, even though you see him struggling.  I sometimes find myself advocating for him at the doctor appointments to make sure there is honesty about the fact that things aren't as easy anymore.  

I find myself feeling on edge, wanting to tell those he loves, who are absent, to wake up.  Life is short.  We cry together over little joys and the little losses along the way.  We miss people.  We grieve dying relationships along with the grief we feel about everything else.  But we have to keep going.

Today his doctor told us his chance of survival is 35% with this protocol.  Add in a bone marrow transplant and it goes up to 55%.  If we can find a match.  There are all sorts of feelings of vulnerability.  In so many ways we are dependent on others for blood, platelets, and now marrow.  it's not a matter of just trusting doctors and meds.  We have to wait and hope for another being to give of themselves.  If he had a family match, now would be the time for a transplant. 35% is not 0%.  But it's enough to leave me breathless.

Cancer has made a path to the greatest intimacy I have ever known with myself, Wil, family, community, and life itself.  I think the greatest challenge of caregiving is that to preserve the peace and stillness for our loved one, we often carry a different heavy load.  When this blog first started I wondered why there were not more blogs from caregivers.  I can find a patient blog around every corner.  As a caregiver, I love getting that perspective.  I often crave the companionship of other caregivers though.  I can't explain it, but I can feel the why of it, why there are not more caregiver blogs.  We are tired and heavy hearted a lot of the time.  I am often scolded by others who say, "just ask."  Here's the thing...please just offer.  Tell us what you are wanting to do, willing to do.  Just decide. We won't turn you away because we still need the support.  But we are too tired to ask.

This blog helps you all stay connected to us.   We are halfway through this middle stage, the second half of this will be harder.  But this blog, does not guarantee WE feel connected.  Don't just read this blog.  Leave a comment.  Love it or hate it.  We both just need your virtual arms around us.  Let him know you are thinking of him.  Tell us you are praying.  As we expose our life, all we really want back is your intimacy too.  Near or far.  No sugar coating.  Acceptance of the fact that this is hard and may have many different outcomes despite the fact we are filled with faith.  You don't need to know what to say.  Say anything at all. 

Travel with us.  Jump in the backseat with us if you dare.  Or if not with us, with whoever in your life is struggling with physical ailments.  Or addiction.  Or mental health.  Whatever the issue.  If nothing else comes from our lives being opened up to all of you in this battle, let it be this:  take the daily opportunities presented to you--be vulnerable enough to be along for the ride in a visible way to those you love.  Yes, people may die.  Wil might die.  You may hurt.  Scratch that.  You WILL hurt.  This is a moving, breathing life ride.  We realize the front seat passengers are quite the pair--HOPE driving, and MORTALITY to his right.  But we have seats galore in the back with us.

This vehicle has no luxury accommodation of avoidance.  It's real, it's raw...it's in the moment.  But to those of us who had no choice but to take a seat, we really enjoy the company of folks who continue to sit next to us, hold our hands, turn up the radio to shout sing, and let the wind flow through your hair as we face this greatest adventure.


9 comments:

  1. My heart is breaking...
    Sending you love and prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wil, you are amazing!! And Jenny, so are you! This was such a beautifully written post, you have an incredible gift for words, Jenny. You guys are both straight-up warriors!! I wish I had such eloquence, but please know you are both in my thoughts and prayers. I hate that you are having to go through this. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry this is such a hard place. I wish you hadn't known these truths from so early. I'm thankful that you are so good at expressing the hard things.

    We're all either just passing a crisis or on our way to the next.

    Praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you both. And I don't know how to thank you enough for what you have written. My heart is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love from Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey cousin Tony!!! How do we find out if we are a match. If I am I would love to help out any way I can. Please let me know. I love you and I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny who do we contact to see if we are matches to Wil? I would like to organize some of us from Diebold to see if we are matches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey all...we will post the donor info on this page soon..we promise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also let us know if we can donate platelets specifically for Wil. I used to do that, and I'd GLADLY give up a morning for my cocoa bean!

    ReplyDelete