Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy!

Alright!  You have survuved my initial installment to this blog.  Lots to say there and I could have elaborated more, but I think that was way more than enough.  Now on to, I will call, the 3rd Phase.

This is not a real phase in terms of the cancer process, but just in this adventure we are experienceing here.  Phase One (March to August 2013), Big Hit to No Confirmation to Follow Up.  Phase Two (August to Late October), Larger Mass to Diagnosis.  Phase Three (November) I crept into some jumping to the actual diagnosis and hospital admission.  This phase will be in several posts and will be about as they happen, but not right now as we are still catching up.

So, we have finally got a diagnosis for this mass, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (Non-Hodgkins B-Type).  I don't remember all of what it is about, but you can google it or something.  It's the most common type of childhood leukemia and treatable but rarest in adults and treatable but aggressive and likes to stick around. I have to admit the Leukemia part really threw me off because I believe it meant a good deal of spreading, but for now we still show no signs of that.  So after being admitted to Las Colinas Medical Center, Irving, TX, on November 11, 2013 I started IV steroids-- purpose was to get the mass smaller and my legs neuro symptoms under control. And it worked very quickly.  It was the first time in a very long time I felt no pain in my back or along the ribcage attached to the T6 vertebrae.  The next day (very early in the morning) this figure appears in my room calling my name.  It was my last oncologist to let me know that I will be going to UT-Southwestern St. Paul, but didn't tell me that this may be the last time I will see him.  I just took it as it is no longer in his and the spine surgeon's hands.  Not that I think about it was like when Obi-Wan appeared before Luke and told him he was to go to Degobah and train under Yoda.  Dork Side - Embrace It!  I felt in a haze like Luke (except Luke experienced more trauma).  

Anyways!

Finally was transported to UTSW St. Paul on Wednesday November 13 to the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit and they got me started right away on tests.  The next three days were very, very busy!  The whole month of November was moving faster than previous months, but this time it was in high gear.  Their main purpose was to do a final confirmation of the diagnosis and stage it.  So I went through bone marrow biopsy, full body MRI, one more full body CT and I was issued what is called a PICC line (kind of like a central line in your chest, but hanging off your arm straight to the heart:

Not sure how well you can see that.

So after all of that craziness and it lasted for hours each day (especially the 4 hour MRI - my poor lumbar), the docs all filed in and gave us some somewhat good news and bad news.  The somewhat good news was that all the tests especially the bone marrow biopsy showed very little to no signs of cancer.  Nothing in my brain (well, yeah), my liver, kidneys, aorta, etc. were fine from the other scans.  The only thing they did find was that the mass on my T6 has all but completely disappeared.  The steroids did their job for the most part.  So again, no more pain especially there.  With the report of no spreading the A.L.L. diagnosis was for now debunked (at least the Leukemia part).  So now they will work get all of the past pathology reports, scans, everything I had done and thoroughly check to diagnosis this.  This made for a long weekend, but at least I was able to rest again.  

Later...........

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I know it's only the second post (and it was just posted this morning), but I'm already confused. ALL or no? Oooh, how about ALL or nothing! Are they thinking localized tumor type cancer? I keep praying for you almost continually at night while I'm sitting at the microscope at the lab looking at dog and cat poop slides. You live up to that tattoo and be TENACIOUS!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I gonna have to watch sci fi now to follow the blogs??? LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's leaving you in suspense Cynthia! I think he will finish the story in the next post... :) Keep praying...as he gets to the diagnosis, prognosis and treatment plan...it's a long road...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yarrgh! You KNOW I'm not a patient person. Needless to say, when I head to TX Oncology today for my LAST IRON INFUSION THIS YEAR (supposedly), I'm going to barrage my infusion nurse with a gazillion questions. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Yes, I'm confused now too, it took them forever and six days to make the A.L.L. diagnosis in the first place! Now they think it's incorrect?? Well either way, it's GREAT news that the tumor is almost gone, I mean, WOW, that worked quickly!!

    Tee hee hee, good thing I"m a sci fi geek, I can keep up!!

    ReplyDelete