Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Warning...........May Be Graphic

Ok.  It had been a bit, but I will get out this post before my body says no mas for the night.  Don't worry, this post will not be as graphic as the recent Scandal episode (LAWD......That was hard to watch with this chemo!)

So my day actually started out pretty great.  In fact, this had been the best I have felt for the past 4 days.  My legs are cooperating (meaning no crazy weakness or tingling) and the nausea is a little more in check.  The docs finally came in for their rounds late in the morning, I told them how I was feeling and they said, "Good!  Because it starts all over again.  Bringing ya down."  I knew this anyways because it is chemo day!  

We start back with the first 2 I had last week, VinChristine and Dox.  I'm starting to learn the big side effects of some of these chemos and definately with these two, my pelvic region is really effected moving into weakness in the legs and tingling in the feet.  Very irratating.  The Dox also, like last time, flushes right through me within a couple of hours (I know this because it goes in and out, red, but it does not hurt).  

A new chemo was introduced as well, Methotrexate, which was introduced via the spine.  This was just like the Cytarabine last Wednesday, but that one will only happen once.  This new one will be injected one other time on December 17th, which will complete the full/aggressive round of treatment.  I am convinced that the chemos through the spine are the ones that produced the strong dry heaves about hours after injection, but only happen once of twice.  

Only one other time did these heaves continue and that was a day after I was introduced Pegaspargase via IV this past Friday (2 hour drip).  I was literally convulsing and very little came out.  I even called out for help, but managed through.  I think, that this chemo was the absolute worst of them all and thankfully will only be given once per round.  Hopefully never again.

So those are the 5 chemos I am currrently on and the common side effects of them.  I also get chapped lips, dry mouth, crusty nose, dry skin, dizzy spells, drool mouth, diarrhea and headaches.  These are far in between, but they do happen. 

So, that is my ordeal for now.  I have yet to face the infamous neutropena where everything drops to 0 including my immune system.  Curious, but not really looking forward to it.  They say each person reacts differently to it, so we shall see.  For the most part, I should be extremely exausted.

Oh, for the nausea I am on 4 different types of anti-nausea/anti-anxiety meds including the patch most people wear on cruise ships.

Working well for now.

Until next time.........

5 comments:

  1. Keeping you and Jenny in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wil & Jenny as I read your Journey, you two add a special meaning to this Thanksgiving Season. Yet you have to endure what many of us could not, so many hearts are touched on your ability to share your experiences. You are in my prayers and God will work things out according to your faith. Much love to you...stay strong and fight the good fight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mention the neutropenia that will happen (I remember it well from Lisa's fight). Just curious, but how high was your white count at the highest? You don't have to say if you don't want to, but I'm wondering how much the drop will be.

    Fight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I don't know thoses levels. All I know is that all levels are still going very strong. So curious.

      Delete
  4. So glad you're able to combat the nausea! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete