Monday, November 25, 2013

Life on the outside


“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”   Rumi


Jenny here. Two weeks ago tonight we were in the ER awaiting a room, three days after hearing the diagnosis, but after weeks of Wil being in constant pain. To say there wasn't enough time to process it all doesn't even give the experience justice. But I'm not melting down on the way home now and I'm eating and sleeping again. My own little steps in the journey. 

I work hard in life. I'm a mover and a shaker, always trying to get us into a better situation.  It's how we ended up at UTSW. I push and advocate for clients and, in this case, for my sweet hubby.  I put people first. I'm a helper. 

But theses days all I really want is to sit and be with Wil. My extroverted self doesn't want crowds of people or the excitement of work.   I'm happy and content in the silence of his room. But sometimes days have to go by in between being there so I can make it to my 3 jobs (part time and contract work is great until you have a life crisis and have no PTO and no FMLA).  And these days I'm learning to be humble and allow others to help us when they can. It really hit home when I met the weekend charge nurse...a former mother of a child I saw for over a year when I worked in Early Childhood Intervention. She saw me, gave me a big hug, and said "don't worry, I've got you."  What a strange shift in the helping relationship.  

I can't imagine how it is to be on a locked unit of 18 rooms 24/7.  To be poked and prodded all day long. To feel pain. To feel weak. To work up a sweat walking the hall and feel like you ran a marathon taking a shower. I'm so proud of Wil's determination. It's a swirl of emotions every day (yay! He ate jello! to seeing my strong guy lose 7lbs in one day). There is such beauty even in the brokenness because we really do have such an amazing relationship. But it's hard. 

But life on the outside is a real mixed bag too. People surprise you. Whether it's calls or gifts from those you haven't spoken to in a long time, offers of help for the caring for the puppies, or visits to Wil because I can't be there all the time...but also to the heartbreak of silence from some you'd expect to see/hear from or the uncomfortable interactions (sometimes avoidance of even eye contact) or being told the craziest things you can imagine about how I should feel or act. Some days I feel like cancer is contagious and I have it too.   I'm not sure if illness changes relationships or just reveals them. I get that it's hard to know what to do or say. I know people's lives continue on as we fight.  But even the smallest thoughtfulness or validation means so much some days. 

Wil's prognosis is hopeful. I've moved past some of the intense fear of losing him (if you know my growing up situation with my dad then you understand Wil being sick is facing my worst nightmare becoming reality) to general grieving the life we once had (this week is especially hard as today would have been our first day in MN with my family after several years).  Logically I know our lives have changed forever. Stress wise I can feel some of the challenges to daily life already (I keep thinking 3 years. 3 years. I don't usually even stay at a job 3 years!).  But really, it's just all too much to process, too many unknowns yet to plan more than just a few days or weeks at a time. 

I hope people can be patient with me as I try to figure out how to sanely balance life on the inside and outside worlds (we are expecting periodic hospital stays this whole first year. "Disabling" is how they framed the treatment). I hope I can also be patient and kind to myself (day three I'm driving home sobbing because I don't have a handle on everything yet...I'm very silly and expect too much from myself). I hope people will join with us in the long haul. Because as independent as we are, I know we can't do it alone.  

Let the light enter. 


6 comments:

  1. That is so eloquently stated. There is absolutely no reason for you to feel silly. I can't even imagine putting myself in your shoes. When this happened to Lisa, it was like a punch in the gut. Now with Wil, I've got that stomach falling feeling all over again. I've come to the conclusion that cancer is a four letter word. I hate it, and I wish it to be gone fir Wil. I hope that I can make it to see him soon. Be strong. Be tenacious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are not yet what we shall be, but we are moving towards it.
    The process is not yet finished, but it is going on.
    This is not the end, but it is the road.
    ....Martin Luther 1521

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wil you found an amazing woman! You are blessed to have one another. I just feel the love here yet it is a reminder of how unfair life can be. U r both strong... That I see. I do not live close but I am praying and thinking of u often. Cancer has hit me far too close to home recently. Know u r being thought of often. I hope those who have surprised you will turn around :). Support is what u need most...and cheerleaders. Give me a "w"....give me an "I"....give me a"l". U got this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely put Jenny,

    Days like these make you think and know why God brings certain people together. You are definitely his other half and his will to fight everyday. I have lived and cried as you are today. But, I always remember that God does not give us more than we can handle. Though, we have not personally met. I am here for you and Will, takingthis long journey. Sending big hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ♥ Yalls strength and love is so inspiring. I am always here for you guys.

    ReplyDelete