Sunday, December 1, 2013

Hard to Stomach

Jenny here again. All of Wil's best intentions about blogging are made hard this week because of lack of appetite/eating/throwing up. If it's not one it's one of the others. Wil has lost about 40lbs over the past month. This is a rare time when everyone is thankful he had some to lose. You just hate to see someone lose it like this.  But only being able to stomach Ensure or Cheerios or a little fruit just isn't enough. Keep in mind he is on a saline drip and constant steroids. The rest of us would be gaining weight with all that.

He has been sleeping a lot too and his energy is lower. Still, the nurses are impressed with his tenacity and trying to walk the halls several times a day plus shower. The doctors keep giving us more hope as well. The people who have visited or sent cards have helped him keep his spirits up. The visits may be shorter now because he gets sleepy, but he truly does need them to stay sane!

Our thanksgiving was quiet. Wil LOVES Christmas and had been excited about decorating for months. I thought, given we don't know when he's being released yet, we should decorate his room. I brought up a tree, Christmas jammies, and Mary J Blige's new Christmas CD. We finished just in time for his first transfusion.   He has been emotional and started to cry. I thought he was getting nausea but he looked up and said "I'm just happy."  I'll remember that moment forever. No other Christmas tree trimming in the past compares.

Level wise his immune system has not hit "0" yet so he's on some additional steroids to help bring it down. He has to get to "0" to kill those cells. Then they will bring him back up.  Then it starts again. That's chemo rounds in a nutshell.






5 comments:

  1. Tears me up daily. Yall are so strong. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for you guys. I admire your strength and I know you will beat this. Love from our family to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you brought a Christmas tree into the room, that's greatness! You're a good wife Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tree looks great! U both are in my thoughts and prayers everyday! Love u both! Stay strong and positive bro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although he's too tired to keep up with the posts right now, I know he (and me) appreciate all the thoughts and prayers...eventually he will see them and I know it will mean the world to him.

    ReplyDelete