Friday, December 13, 2013

My own McDreamy

Jenny here. It was a hectic day for me....riding on 3 hours of sleep because I worked swing last night and had a training to give for a professional organization of which I'm a member. Then private practice and now here at the hospital. Although I'm brain dead, it was a good day.

It seems like most days I get home there is at least one card in the mailbox. I don't cry as much in the car on the way home now. That used to be my space and time for tears. Even before Wil was admitted it was the one place I could emotionally throw myself into the ashes of my grief so no one had to worry, including Wil. But this week I'm finding the tears when open the mailbox instead. Happy lovely tears.  I sometimes don't even make it back inside before I'm ripping open the envelope for my dose of hope. And it makes me think about community. So many different communities that I've been blessed to be a part of through schooling or work or family or friendships. Community is important for survival.

Updates:  Wil is OFF steroids. He is so very happy. Weak, slurred speech but no shaking. He actually was pleasant today and wanted to be wheeled around the halls!  Although he's not up and walking it, it's  a great start, especially in the attitude department. He did need some more good old Ativan for the anxiety in waiting for me to get here tonight.  I could tell on the phone. He has gotten insistent on the need for me to be here all the time. As soon as I arrived, off to dreamland. At some point, with his permission, I might need a written blooper reel for the crazy stuff the steroids made him say and do.

His liver biopsy today went well.  They went in through his neck so he barely has a cut!  Results next week.

Yesterday I met with a rep from a local skilled nursing facility (SNF). They are coordinating with insurance. It's a bit of a copay but the facility is top rated and looks like a resort. Pool, gym, 63 acres total, and some folks in their 40's so he can have some peers. He will get some good PT in and hopefully regain some independence. It's further away but since we are looking at only a few weeks I think it's the right place for him. At this point we are just waiting to discharge...most likely early next week to the SNF. One step closer to home where he can recover that liver.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the constant updates sus! Love u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. only the best; there are some things you just can't shortcut. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear things are looking up in the mood dept....boy do I remember the "car cries"...amazing I didn't have an accident through the tears but it was my one solitary place to just let go.....you need it so go ahead..

    ReplyDelete